Friday, July 17, 2009

Pseudo-employed - Amazing Summer

So if I want to be a writer, I have to write. No more excuses, I just need to take a few moments to reflect and put my thoughts on paper. It's been a long time since I've been completely bankrupt and have been doing well to pull in a couple hundred a week, but no steady job yet. Just the menial labor of the service industry, however this job presented me with a rare opportunity.

So I blew all my money on a spring break trip to Europe to visit some friends. It came about haphazardly when I missed out on the chance to book a cruise with my friends. Yet it turned out to be the most life changing decisions and has led me to where I am now.

When I couldn't go on the cruise, I decided to book a flight to England to visit my best friend from study abroad. From there it kind of all fit together. I would visit her for a few days, take the train down to London visit with an old friend...and then I was trying to think of something else to do, which is when I emailed Andy. My favorite mode of travel is the cheap kind, ie. stay at other people's places. Andy is from Ireland and I emailed him to see if I could crash on a couch and see the sights of the Emerald Isle all in one. Andy was living at home with his parents and four brothers and sisters at the time so me crashing on the couch might not have been the most appealing idea. However, he did offer his company if I wanted to meet up in Dublin, so that's what we did.

From the moment we saw eachother I knew it was right. I had never gotten along with someone so well, it was just so...easy. I had a great time with the friends I visited in England, but Andy made my trip. From there it was too good to give up on, so we decided to give it a go.

So I have to admit, I'm not the best when it comes to doing things on time. Waiting to the last minute is usually my method, and it usually backfires. About two weeks before my graduation from college, with no job prospects in the immediate or near future, I called the restaurant I worked at for four years asking for my job back. Apparently, two years off the job doesn't increase loyalty, and when I called and they were all staffed up, that left no job for me. So I did what any soon to be college graduate, who is strong and independent would do...I called my daddy crying that I didn't have a job.

My dad called back within the hour and told me he found me a job. It was on a small island near my hometown at a restaurant called "The Dory". I didn't know then that when I stepped foot in The Dory that my summer would be anything other than usual and mundane. I grew up my entire life here, but I didn't realize that a tiny space of water and an isolated island could change so much, and lead to so many different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment